About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Excerpt from Epilouge To The Three Matchmakers

This is a chapter from my curent Little Shop of Horrors fan ficition titled Epilouge To The Three Matchmakers. It is currently still in progress and will be completed when I get home from vacation. Please provide feedback. To read the rest of it go to my fan fiction website http://fanfiction.net/~showtunediva

When Fiancée Meets Father

Please note: I don't own rights to any Little Shop characters. The characters of Audrey's father and sisters are my own creation.
From the day after their engagement was announced Seymour and Audrey were feverishly busy with the wedding plans. Making reservations for the rehearsal and reception, figuring out food music and all other things involved in planning a dream wedding.

Audrey had one thing on her mind from the very first moment Seymour proposed. This was the fact that Seymour had never met her dad and she was nervous about what kind of an impression Seymour would make on him. The last time Audrey had seen her dad and two younger sisters was when she was dating Orin and that was nearly two years ago at her mom’s funeral. She had passed away from breast cancer.
She expressed her concern to Ronette while they were out dress shopping.
“Ronette, Seymour has never met my dad.”
“What’s the worry?” Ronette asked
“What if he doesn’t like him? They only guy he ever met was Orin and he didn’t really like him very much,”
“Honey, nobody liked Orin not even Mr. Mushnik. Don’t worry he’ll love Seymour.” Ronette gave her best friend’s shoulder an affectionate squeeze

When she got home from dress shopping Audrey made the phone call to Long Island to tell her family the good news. Her 18 year old sister Debbie answered the phone.
“Hi Audrey, we miss you at home. How are you?”
Audrey felt a pang of longing for her two sisters Debbie and 15 year old Darlene who she missed dearly.
“I’m good. I miss you guys too. I have good news.”
“What is it?”
“I’m getting married.”
Audrey had to hold the phone away from her ear as her sister let out an elongated scream.
“Orin finally got up the guts to marry ya?”
“Oh no, I broke up with Orin about a year ago.”
“Who are you marrying then?”
“I met this gentleman named Seymour at work and we’ve been dating ever since I broke up with Orin. Orin is actually dead now.”
There was silence.
“You killed him?”
Audrey laughed
“No silly. It’s kind of a complicated story but he ended up killing himself. I’m so much happier now that he’s out of the picture.”
“But I thought Orin was always nice to ya.”
“It’s complicated sweetie. I’ll tell you and Darlene sooner or later.. just not right now.”
“So when’s the wedding?”
“June.. me and Seymour are still trying to figure out the exact date but I definitely want you and Darlene to be part of the wedding.”
“Are we gonna get to meet Seymour before the wedding?”
“Yes, I’ll bring him over to the house one of these for dinner. Is Daddy home?”
“Yeah, let me get him”
“Well now Audrey, what’s all the excitement about? I’m pretty sure your sister’s scream could be heard half way around the block.” her father's deep baritone voice asked.
“I’m getting married.”
Even though she couldn’t see him through the phone line Audrey could tell her dad was grinning from ear to ear.
“Orin finally proposed to you,huh?”
Audrey sighed.
“No, Daddy Orin’s dead. The situation’s really hard to explain.”
“Who are you marrying then?”
“ A guy I met at work his name is Seymour.”
“And does he treat you nice?”
“Oh yes, definitely.” She said ‘Much nicer then Orin ever did.’ She silently added to herself
“So when will we get to meet him?”
“Well that’s what I was wondering. Should we come to visit you or do guys want to come here?”
“We’ll come to you. Dinner on Saturday sound good?”
“Sure around 5 would work.”
“Okay then see you then.” The phone was disconnected.
At that point, Seymour entered the house and kissed Audrey on the check.
“Hey honey, how was dress shopping?”
“Great. Hey guess what? My dad and sisters are coming over for dinner on Saturday night.”
Seymour was instantly nervous
“I’ve never met your dad, right? I don’t think I’ve even met your mom.”
Audrey was silent.
“My mom died of cancer before we even met. I was still dating Orin at the time. My sister was funny because she didn’t even know about what happened to Orin and how he went to jail.”
“Did you tell her?”
“I told her I would tell her and my other sister at a later date. I just want to focus now on getting through these wedding plans.”
“Will your dad like me?”
Audrey felt like Seymour had read her mind clear through to what she had told Ronette while they were dress shopping
“I’m actually kind of worried about that too but I’m sure he’ll like you. You’ll love my sisters.”

Saturday night around the doorbell rang around 4:30.
“Hi Audrey!!” Her sisters smothered her in hugs.
“Hi Girls, welcome. This is Seymour.”
The two teenage girls were awestruck by the sight of their sister’s girlfriend
Darlene whispered something to Debbie. Debbie smiled and nodded.
“Hi baby.” Her father said kissing Audrey on the cheek.
“Welcome Daddy. Let me take that pie from you and I’ll take all your coats upstairs too.”
“You must be Seymour. It’s nice to meet you.”
“It’s nice to meet you too sir. “ Seymour said shaking her father’s hand. He smiled at Audrey’s sisters “And it’s nice to meet you girls as well.”
“Nice to meet you too.” Debbie spoke on behalf of both sisters.


Dinner was served promptly at 5. Spaghetti and Meatballs. Audrey’s father’s favorite.

So Seymour, what is it you do?” Audrey’s father asked.

“Well sir, I work in a flower shop in the center of town. We just moved our location uptown from Skid Row. Too many break ins and vanadalisms done to our store at our old location.”
“And that’s how you met my daughter?”
“Yes sir, our friend Ronette actually was the one who suggested that we start dating. We are so greatful to her for making that suggestion.” Audrey and Seymour exchanged a happy grin.”
“You said your store had a lot of break ins on Skid Row? Did Orin have anything to do with those break ins?
Seymour was shocked about how Audrey’s father had known this. He shot a confused stare at Audrey who shrugged. She had never mentioned anything about Orin’s psychotic behavior to her dad or her sisters.
“It’s funny you should mention that sir, yes Orin was one of the people who broke into the store. That’s what caused us to move. We were concerned he could have hurt Audrey if we had stayed in that location.”
Audrey’s father gave Seymour a very serious look.
“You care about my daughter?”
Seymour breathed a sigh of relief.
“Yes sir, I do, very much.”
“And this Mushnik fellow cares about her too?”
“Yes, sir. Mr. Mushnik is like the father I never had. He cares for Audrey as much as her cares for me. As much as both of us care for her. We both didn’t care much for the way Orin used to treat her.”
“And how exactly did Orin die? You didn’t kill him?”
Audrey’s jaw dropped.
“No Daddy, Seymour would never kill anyone.”
“I’ve heard stories about that man-eating plant he takes care of.”
Seymour didn’t expect Audrey Two to be a topic of conversation. “Audrey II is strictly on a vegetarian diet now.” Seymour said. “He hasn’t had human blood since after Orin died.”
“How did he die?” Debbie piped up.
Audrey and Seymour looked at each other “We might as well tell them.” Audrey said and Seymour nodded.
“He committed suicide.” Audrey said. “At the time of his death he wrote me a note that said he wished he’d been nicer to me when we dated and gave Seymour and I his blessing.”
“But I always thought Orin was nice to you… Darlene said. “He seemed that way.”
Seymour was shocked that Audrey had never told her family anything about how abusive Orin was to her.
The truth would come out now.
Audrey got up and walked over to where her sisters were sitting and hugged Darlene tightly.
“No, Darlene. Orin was never nice to me. In fact he was down right horrible to me. He was just nice when he saw you guys at the funeral because he was sorry Mama died.”
“Did he beat you up?” Debbie asked.
“Yes.. the physical abuse didn’t start til about a month after we started to date for the first couple weeks it was mostly verbal.”
Audrey’s father couldn’t believe what he was hearing.
“Honey, why didn’t you mention anything to me or your mom sooner. You could have stayed with us.”
“I was too afraid Orin would track me down and then try to hurt you guys. The last thing I would want was for him hurt my family.
He got up from his seat and embraced his oldest daughter.
“Audrey, you would have been safe with us. We love you. We would have protected you from that creep. IF you had told us about this sooner he would have not been allowed at the funeral.”


Audrey was instantly ashamed. ‘Im sorry Daddy, Orin just scared me so much. I wasn’t even safe at work for the longest time because I was afraid he would hurt Seymour or Mr. Mushnik. That’s why I’m so happy we moved the store to the new location.”

Audrey’s father looked at Seymour
“Seymour, do you promise never ever to hurt my daughter?”
Seymour nodded. “Yes, sir. I would never dream of treating her the way Orin used too. She means too much to me.. to all of us. That includes Mr, Mushnik and our friends.”

“Do you promise to give her everything she needs?”
“Yes sir.”
“Do you promise to love her unconditionally?”
“Yes sir, with every last ounce of my being.”
Audrey’s father had an ear to ear grin on his face.

“Then I give you our blessing.”

No comments:

Followers