About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Monday, January 11, 2010

Fan Fiction Research and my thoughts on recent Broadway closings

So right now I am doing research to get more inspirations for fan fictions. I revisted watching my dvds from the Barn Playhouse to try to get inspiration for more Annie Get Your Gun and Little Shop fan fics and have already drafted an Annie Get Your Gun fan fiction from Frank Butler's pov (not as good as the Dolly Tate one I posted a few entries down. My next LSOH is from Audrey's point of view and mostly focusses on her abusive relationship with Orin.) I rented Funny Girl, Kiss Me Kate and The Mikado from the library. I was actually quite bored with both Kiss Me Kate and Funny Girl but watched both movies long enough to get some inspiration. Someone left an anoynmous comment on my previous entry about fan fiction ideas suggesting I do a fan fic on Suessical The Musical. That may be worth looking into though I have never even heard of that show and am not familiar with any of the music from it. Also felow Glee fans who follow this blog I may also write a Glee fan fiction. Give me suggestions about what episode i should base it off of.

To read the fan fictions I have written so far go to: http://fanfiction.net/~showtunediva



So last year around this time there was a somber day when about 10 or 15 shows closed on Broadway. In the past few days there have been quite a few other closings. Some I am suprised by and others not. Here are my thoughts

Ragtime (revival) I have heard a lot of good things about this from my friends who have seen it and was hoping to add it to my list of shows to see when I go to New York in the spring. Such a bummer I won't get to see it.

Shrek The Musical: The only appeal to seeing this show for me would obviously be Sutton Foster because I heard she was amazing in Drowsy Chaperone. Other than that I can't see what the appeal to this show was. I think there are some musicals that would just be better off just sticking to their movie cointerparts and Shrek is one on those. Legally Blonde is easily another one. Though I have not seen either.. I heard more favorable reviews of Legally Blonde then I did of Shrek.

Burn The Floor- Not a big fan of ballroom dancing but two former contestants from So You Think You Can Dance were in this show and I would have loved to see them.

Bye Bye Birdie (revival) This was on my list of top shows to see when I go back to the New York in the spring at one point. I am honestly not surprised that it didn't last. I have been reading less than favorable reviews about it and I'm sure a mix of reviews and poor ticket sales was what did the show in. I saw John Stamos sing Put on A Happy Face on the Macy's Parade and I was actually less then impressed with his singing and dancing.

Finnian's Rainbow (revival) Don't know enough about this show to form an opinion.
The 39 Steps Much disappointment about this play closing. I hope it ends up coming to Boston on tour.
The Toxic Avenger Don't know much about it in order to form an opinion.


Top 5 shows I want to see
1. A Little Night Music
2. Billy Elliot
3. Jersey Boys
4. Next To Normal
5. West Side Story

2 comments:

Anna Andalasia said...

I was also quite disappointed with the Bye Bye Birdie snippet in the Macy's parade. I generally like John Stamos and all but... he just seems wrong for the role. His singing was adequate, his dancing was acceptable at best, but he just seems the wrong "type." Maybe because I see him as more of a Conrad Birdie than an Albert Peterson (though he's too old now... I'm thinking back to his Full House days I suppose).

Perhaps I'm biased though because I just played Kim in BBB and we had an awesome cast. =)

http://charactress.blogspot.com

Catherine said...

I like John Stamos, but unfortunately, he is no Dick Van Dyke.

Followers