About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Interlakes Theatre Summer 2011 Prevoew

Get Ready for Interlakes Summer Theatre’s 2011 Season
By Janine Leffler















Get ready for another season of amazing shows at Interlakes Summer Theatre.
The Main Stage Company will be performing Guys and Dolls, Man of Lamancha, Hairspray, Cabaret and Buddy The Buddy Holly Story.

When it comes to show selection, Artistic Director Nancy Barry offered the following insight; “We decide shows by surveying audience members, combining the tried and true with the new.” Barry considers many things when selecting shows. One key aspect is balance so Barry chooses shows which are not all from the same time period as well as performances that effectively use all the company members. Secondly, Barry makes certain that they will be able to carry the show technically and talent wise. Lastly, availability also comes into play as many other local theatres are in competition for the same actors.

Man of La Mancha is Barry’s favorite show. “It's really inspiring, it's intelligent and it is surprisingly funny- very witty and high comedy. Audience members have told Barry that “Guys and Dolls” is their all-time favorite show. This summer Barry is reviving Buddy The Buddy Holly Story due to its popularity in the 2008 inaugural season. It was a big hit and audience members were dancing in the aisles. Barry expects Buddy The Buddy Holly Story to sell out. Familiar faces, Jason Burrow, Matt Rickard and Nathan Riley will be back to reprise their roles as the Big Bopper, Richie Valens and Buddy Holly respectively.


The Youth Theatre Company will be performing Aladdin, The Aristocats, Tinkerbell and Peter and The Wolf. Rachel Witkovsky is the artistic director for the Youth Theatre program. The company consists of middle school and high school students ages 12-18. When it comes to choosing shows, Witkovsky said “ I know that we usually like to pick at least one show that is more for the girls, one that is more for the boys, and one that meets in the middle.” Witcovsky looks forward to all the shows although she has favorites; “Aladdin and The AristoCats were two of my favorite movies growing up and my parents and I used to listen to Peter and the Wolf on cassette tape in the car.” Tinkerbell is Witkovskys original play. When it comes to directing her own work she says, “I'm really excited about the opportunity. I'm glad that I have someone else helping me, though, because sometimes when you work too closely with your own script. You don't find that extra something from the text that a fresh pair of eyes will find. Sometimes I need to just take a step back from my writings and ask someone else what they think or how they envision a scene.”

First time actress Caitlin Mesiano, a recent graduate of Pace University, is thrilled to be performing in Meredith this summer “I am very excited to be spending my summer in Meredith, as I have heard it is a lovely town, and probably not too much unlike my hometown of Center Moriches on Long Island. I think Meredith with be a great fit for me!” Mesiano is playing Sarah Brown in Guys and Dolls and looks forward to playing the role.“I am thrilled to be playing such a classically elegant role, especially because much of musical theater these days has been so contemporized. Don't get me wrong, I love contemporary shows, but there's just something about taking on a role in a show that has so much history that I find refreshing and exciting.”

Scott Sowinski returns for his third season at Interlakes Summer Theatre. He previously appeared in 2008 as Sir Evelyn Oakleigh in Anything Goes and Vice Principal Panch in 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee in 2010. This year he is playing Don Quixote in Man of LaMancha “Don Quixote is one of the best male leads written. It is a huge challenge and one that I hope will be very rewarding. I think that the music is fantastic and it is a beloved piece of theatre that has been moving people for generations.” He goes on to say, “The cast will be amazing as it is the best of the best of Nancy's talent. I think that it will be extraordinary on every level.” Sowinski believes the goal behind Summer Stock Theatre is “To put up productions that speak to an audience. In this case, Nancy asked them what they wanted and responded with this exciting season. Summer stock is about establishing relationships through the theater by giving people who might not always take the chance to see a show, the opportunity to do so. In the case of summer stock, theatre becomes recreation and fully engaging. It brings people a sense of diversion but also brings them inspiring art to watch and applaud.”


You won’t want to miss a single show this summer! Get your tickets soon.
Interlakes Summer Theatre is located at 1 Laker Lane in Meredith. For more information on tickets and show times go to http://interlakestheatre.com/.
















To be published in all local Meredith newspapers and the Hippo Press.

No comments:

Followers