About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Saturday, February 12, 2011

A blast to the past in a familar place

In continuation of my goal to get the full experience of theatre in New Hampshire and Southern Maine my travels tonight took me to a familar place. New London. When you think New London most people think of the Barn Playhouse but I discovered a theatre company that I had not heard of before SKIT. SKIT stands for Sunapee Kearsarge Intercommunity Theatre and the company is comprised of actors from New London, Warner and other surrounding towns. While I was breifly struck with nostalgia throughout the evening because of the resturant I ate at (Millstone Resturant) and the place the play was at (Whipple Town Hall where I remember having Annie Get Your Gun rehearsals) I was taken back to a period of time I don't remember but yet I am familiar with some of the music because I either remember singing in choir in high school or hearing it some place else (Someone To Watch Over Me is a prime example because Allison Ireheta did an amazing cover of it on American Idol a few years ago... I hadn't realized before seeing this show that that was a Gershwin song however.)

The show I saw tonight was called Gershwin A Musical Revue. It featured a variety of different songs from musicals from the 20s 30s and 40s. It was a perfect show to go see for Valentines Day because there were a lot of songs that definitley fit the category of love songs. Embraceable You, Bess You Is My Woman Now, I've Got A Crush on You and Love Is Here To Stay. Memorable Numbers included Let's Call The Whole Thing Off (Jay and Linda Lambert), Someone To Watch Over Me (Patrica Trader), Embraceable You (Alice Field), Love Is Sweeping The Country (Kendra West- Senor) and A Gershwin Swing Set. which featured Nice Work If You Can Get IT ( Flashback to the Straw Hat Revue at NLBP.. I can't remember who was in that number though.)

The show was directed by my fellow former NLBP co-worker Don Boxwell and featured other former co-workers Jack Tate, Alice Field and Lauri Smerald. It was nice to see familiar faces again. I look foward to seeing more shows at SKIT. :)

No comments:

Followers