About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Friday, November 27, 2009

Going downhill

Since I already did my weekly So You Think Dance review summary I figured I would just talk about the show in general for a minute and how somewhat diasppointing it has been this season.

Since the first season in 2003 I have been hooked and have watched every single season up to the current one. I have been reading a lot of threads on the fox.com message boards in which various people have said that the show has gone downhill this season and I completley concur with thier opinions. The show is becoming less and less interesting and sorry to say more and more predictable with each passing week. First off I think it was a huge mistake for them to do Season 6 so soon after season 5. That threw me off from the start of course my viewership of both So You Think You Can Dance and Glee have been rather sporadic due to academic reasons plus I typically avoid watching the audition episodes because they tend to drag out and all the drama gives me a headache. The show says it's supposed to be the search for America's favorite dancer.. I am beginning to disagree with this statement a lot because lately it seems like the judges opinions have a big part in who goes foward to the next round and America's votes are really put on the back burner. They cut the GOOD dancers like Victor and Channing and keep the not so good ones, Mollee and Nathan referred to by Mary Murphy as the Dream Team. I like a majority of the other couples who made it to the top 10 and am happy one of the couples I was originally rooting for from Day 1 is still in the contest, Russell and Noelle, Compared to the other dancers on the show Mollee and Nathan are a lot less mature and less seasoned then the other dancers and I personally think that they only reason they are getting so many votes is because the teenage girls think Nathan is so cute. Very few of thier numbers have stood or been memorable while Channing and Victor who have been voted off in the past two weeks gave amazing performances, sure their solos might have been weak but their partner performances were good. Mollle and Nathan on the other hand had the WEAKEST solos this week and Mollee's ankle injury was definitley a deficit to her performances in my opinion. Another mistake they have made is changing the stage. I liked the stage the way it was and do not at all understand why they had to change it.. the ligthing design is also bad from what i've been reading on the fox.com message board I haven't really noticed that very much though. Also one of the best chreographers Mia Michaels has left the show. This saddens me because her pieces were award winning and she one one of my favorite choreographers.

So is it the contest for America's favorite dancer or a contest for who the judge's favorites are?

I think it's moreso the second one than the first one and if Fox thinks that's going to get them more viewers they are DEAD wrong. The changes they are making are causing people to lose interest in the show.. including me. After this season I will probably not watch So You Think You Can Dance anymore...I may change my mind by when Season 6 starts in the summer but I somehow tend to doubt it. So You Think Can Dance is turning in to a popularity contest and that's really not what it should be at all. Like they say it's a contest for America's favorite dancer... that;s what it used to be but it seems now that they are making a lot of poor choices to improve their ratings and that won't serve them well in the long run because they willl end up losing viewers especially diehard viewers like me who have been watching since the beginning.


American Idol is pretty bad too... a lot of the stuff they do is more so based on the votes and on popularity. People are so farsighted that they true miss truly talent when they see it. If I had it my way Adam Lambert whould have come in 3rd of 4th last year instead of second and the person who was third would have been the runner up. I like Kris Allen because he is down to earth. Adam Lambert ... well he's a bit too flashy for me sorry to say.

Both American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance will most likely lose my viewership next year. I just find both shows to be really over rated. If it wasn't for Glee there would be nothing good on Fox to watch.


I'd also like to add... that not EVERYTHING about this season has been totally and completley horrendous. The season has definitley had its good points such awesome dances choreographed by Sonya and NappyTaps and some amazing Broadway routines. As far as the top 10 dancers are concerned I think it may be a tough descion for the rest of the American Voting public and the judges but in my opinion her is who I think the top 3 dancers will be.
1. Jakob He has been absolutley amazing ALL SEASON long and he really deleivers every week. Even if he doesn't win he will definitley have a sucesssfull dance carreer after the show
2. Kathryn
3. Ellenore

Channing was my favorite female dancer for most of the season until she got voted off two weeks ago. Since she got voted off Ellenore and Kathryn have really started to shine through. Both girls have their own set of talents but all things considered they are both very versatile dancers and are great assests to their partnerships.

No comments:

Followers