About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

August Osage County to be performed at the Amato Center
By Janine Leffler




The 2008 Pulitzer prize winning dark comedy August Osage County by Tracy Letts will be performed at the Amato Center for The Performing Arts In Milford. The play is set in modern day Oklahoma and is the story of how a dysfunctional family deals with the mysterious disappearance of the family patriarch, Bill Weston. Come see this powerful story of dealing with past and present.

According to Len Deming who plays Bill Weston, “It has to be the most compelling portrayal of the "reality" of a dysfunctional family that I have seen in a long time. The characters are all real and all have their own problems and agendas. There are few, if any, "flat" characters. Even the sheriff has a story.” For Mitch Fortier who plays Little Charles the show’s complexity is the most interesting aspect. “It is so rich in its dialogue and really exposes the lives of these characters that will touch everyone in some way.”

Isis Lee who makes her acting debut in August Osage County as Jean, the 14 year old daughter of Bill and Barbara, is excited to be performing with such a talented cast. “I think my favorite part has just been watching it all come together and go from the early rough stage to where we are now. It's been a great experience seeing how everyone develops their character and how well everyone interacts with each other.” She continued by explaining the most interesting aspect of playing her character “ Jean's personality is pretty similar in a lot of ways to my own at 14 and in some ways even now, but her experiences and choices are very different from mine as a teenager.”


When it comes to character development, Deborah Shaw, who plays Ivy the middle Weston daughter, the key aspect is analysis “With a well-written script like this, almost everything an actor needs is in the words, but it's just taking the time to explore what she feels about her given circumstances and about the other characters. I think about the challenges she's faced, the obstacles she's overcome, her personality, etc. and then turn all the analysis into behavior. I get overly absorbed in the analysis, and then memorize the words.” She went on to say that she looks forward to the performances as they approach. “I'm honored to be part of such an amazing show and its regional premiere. Ivy is a strong woman and it is a rewarding challenge to play a role like this.”


Director Vick Bennison looks forward to seeing the actors respond to an audience. “It usually brings everything up a notch or two. I also am very excited about seeing the audience reaction to the play. This is such a great play. But you never know how they are going to react. I can't wait to find out. “


August Osage County will be performed July 15-24 at the Amato Center for The Performing Arts in Milford located at 56 Mt Vernon Street. Show times are Friday and Saturday at 8pm and Sundays at 2pm. Tickets are $12 for adults and $7 for students and seniors. You won’t want to miss this show!

No comments:

Followers