About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Friday, April 1, 2011

WOO!

My life has mostly been consumed with Music Man rehearsal. The show is going fabulous and really coming together very nicely. Last Sunday at rehearsal we had a costume parade and photo shoot. The pictures are up on Rich Sparks's website and they came out good though my eyes were closed in the picture I'm in. Next week the craziness to tech week ensues and the show opens in 13 days. WOOT!! So excited! Full update on the show to come on April 17th hopefully I will take pictures during tech week to compliment the entry.


For my March viewing schedule I went to see the Irish Music Show at the Amato Center and the Amherst Middle School Production of Dear Edwina Jr. My boyfriend is really into Irish music so when I heard about the Irish Music show at the Amato Center I jumped at the chance to go. I am not really too familiar with any Irish music so it was a new experience for me. A highly enjoyable one I might add, The show was a fundraiser for the Nancy 0 Fund a scholarship fund named in honor of a Souhegan theatre teacher who died of cancer in the early 90s when the school first opened. The fund provides scholarships to those who are interested in pursing the arts after high school. My favorite performances were the Irish Step Dances by Lauren and Hillary Gorgal and Whistlin Gyspy Rover by the Souhegan Valley Chorus. Dear Edwina Jr was a good show. It is a show about a show that is put on in the garage of Edwina Spoonapple where she gives advice to people. The show was directd by Jennifer Stover and Denise Jacobs. I had actually never heard of Dear Edwina before so I was excited to see this show performed. The cast showed a lot of versatile talent, some of which I have worked with on shows with Riverbend Youth Company and some who are currently in Music Man with me in the ensemble. My favorite songs were Sing Your Own Song/Up on The Fridge reprise, Hola Lola and Put It In The Piggy. Great job to cast and crew on an awesome show!


In other news after Music Man is over I am taking a break from auditioning and doing tech work to focus on my next undertaking which is writing a play. I have been doing research for about 6 months but have been so busy with the play and been seemingly distracted by writing fan fiction that I haven't had much time to focus on it. Bullying has been a prevelent topic in news lately and that's what my play is going to be about. I think bullying needs to be brought to the forefront so it in can be prevented. As news stories have shown it can have tragic outcomes. A bullying story that touched me recently was the suicide of Tyler Climente a Rutgers University freshmen who jumped off the George Washington Bridge after being bullied because of his sexuality. I feel gays are largely misunderstood by thier same sex counter parts and I hope the play I write will help people to realize that even though the may have different romantic feelings than us they are equal to us. Love should not be defined by who you love but by how much love you have for that person. I am hoping to talk to some of my friends who are gay and get some insight from them on their experiences with coming out, if they ever dealt with bullying and how they overcame it. When I was a freshmen at NEC The Laramie Project was peformed at my school and that play had a profound affect on me. Once I write this play and if it ever gets performed then I am hoping it will have the same kind of effect on people so bullying can be prevented in some way. This topic has a personal connection to me because I was bullied in high school. I have various learning diabalities and I had a lot of trouble fitting in because of them. Overcoming the challenge of being bullied definitley made me a stronger person. I have found it important throughout my life to not let the negative things define me.

Enjoy this April Fools day snowstorm everyone!

No comments:

Followers