About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Friday, February 13, 2009

Current Work in Progress for the Cabinet

PTA Play, A Family Tradition
By Janine Leffler


For many years members of the same family have been coming together to share the stage in the Amherst PTA Play Productions. This year’s production of Peter Pan is no different.

Some local families who are performing in Peter Pan together include Hannah Whitney who plays Nibs in the Lost Boy Ensemble and her brother, Drew who was cast as Michael Darling. Their mother Jenn Whitney is on the production staff. Natalie Petersen who is in the Lost Boy Ensemble joins her mother director Meg Petersen. Michelle Emmond, an Indian Dancer is in the show with her son Jason who is in the Lost Boy Ensemble, as well her husband Jim who is the music director.


For 11 year old Hannah Whitney of Amherst the biggest challenge of being in this production so far was auditioning for the same part as her younger brother Drew. “You would think that would never happen because he's a boy and I'm a girl, but I really wanted to be Michael and fly! But, Drew got the part and I was really proud of him!” Last year The Whitneys were also in the Children’s Choir of Joseph and The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Hannah Whitney stated in a recent interview that “PTA plays are fun because most of the people in them are people from town that you know. A lot of my friends are in Peter Pan!”

For director Meg Petersen the most fulfilling thing about working on PTA plays is the memories she shares with her family members working on various shows.
Petersen chose to direct this play because “It has always been on my "bucket list" to direct the Amherst PTA Play. I figured I should do this while my daughter, Natalie, is still interested in doing plays.” Petersen has performed in Annie, Oliver and Wizard of OZ with her sons Sam and Ben and Fiddler on the Roof with her daughter Natalie. She has many fond memories with her children working on each production.

Play veteran Michelle Emmond, who is in her thirtieth PTA production this year, shared a favorite memory, “When my daughter, Christy, was the Milkmaid and I was the Rose Seller of Oliver. We got to begin the song Who Will Buy? singing a duet. It was a very cool music moment for us.” Emmond continued by saying, “As a citizen of the Amherst Community, a parent of three children who have attended or are attending the Amherst Schools, and as a teacher for over 30 years in Amherst, I feel a strong commitment to help out with this very special school fundraiser!”

Emmond’s son Jason stated in a recent interview “I think it's a lot of fun to be in a play with my mom and dad. I have been in several other plays with my mom in Manchester, so it has become a part of our regular routine. Most of the shows I have been in, my dad has either been the musical director or the guitar player in the orchestra.”

Some other local families that share the spotlight of the PTA stage include Jennifer Stover and her children, Kate and Grace (Indian Dancers) and Tom (Pirate Ensemble), sisters Monica Ghandi (Tiger Lilly) and Tamarra Ghandi (Indian Ensemble), Father Kevin Brannley (Pirate) and daughter Haley ( Indian Dancer), sisters Katherine Schwope (Jane Darling) and Melissa Schwope (Lost Boy), Mother Jill Darin (Liza the Maid) and her daughter Abby (Crocodile) and Matthew O’Dowd ( Nana (Dog) and his sister Rebecca (Lost Boy).

The fact that families are in this show truly makes the PTA Play an event for families to attend year after year. Bring your families to see the show April 16-19th at Souhegan High School in Amherst.

No comments:

Followers