About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Monday, February 23, 2009

My review of the Oscars and a bit about the Grammys as well

Awards shows like The Oscars, The Tonys and The Grammys typically do not hold my attention for very long but last night the thing that made the Oscars the most entertaining was the fact that Hugh Jackman was the host. There was a special on him before the ceremony and I had no idea that he was on Broadwway nor had I heard of the show he was in The Boy From OZ .. anyone else heard of it? Anyway I think he was the best person to ever host the Oscars.

I was incredibly happy that Slumdog Millionaire won so many awards. I saw that movie a few a weeks ago with my boyfriend and I thought it was the most phenominal piece of cienmatic work I have seen to date. Very poweful. I am also happy that The Curious Case of Benjamin Button did so well too, I haven't gotten around to seeing that yet but I must make an effort to see that before it is out of theatre... I do not think I can wait til it comes out on DVD to see it. Oh and also two thumbs up for Heath Ledger getting the pothosmous Oscar for playing the Joker in The Dark Knight. Alas, that was the only thing I truly liked about that movie. My friend Tom told me they're thinking of taking the Joker out of the Batman movies and that news makes me disgusted. They shouldn't totally erase the character from the movies just because Heath Ledger is dead. That's totally retarded.

The Grammys were on a couple of weeks ago and I totallly spaced on writing an entry about it.. whoops.
For a complete list of winners go here: http://www.grammy.com/GRAMMY_Awards/51st_show/list.aspx#08

Notable wins (at least to me)
  1. Coldplay
  2. Carrie Underwood
  3. Sugarland
  4. In The Heights for best Broadway soundtrack (others nominated were Gypsy,South Pacific Little Mermaid and Young Frankenstien)

Performances on the show however were less than impressive. Taylor Swift and Miley Cyrus did a duet together and I thought it royally sucked. Taylor Swift is better on cd then she is live and Miley Cyrus just sucks. The Jonas Brothers and Stevie Wonder performed together and I didn't think that performance was to that performance either. Maybe because I'm primarily turned off by any of the recent Disney bred bands and singers.

I look incredibly foward to the Tonys in June. Does anyone know when the nominations are stating for that.

Bed time!

Janine

No comments:

Followers