About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Young Love 1st of many Music Man Fanfics


Young Love
A Music Man Fan Fiction
Takes place before Marian The Librarian is sung.


Disclaimer: I do not own any Music Man characters. Meredith Wilson owns them. I also do not own the lyrics to Side By Side. Kay Star does. That song isn't even relevant to the time period of the musical but I feel it's a good representation of Tommy and Zaneeta's relationship.

Author's Note: This is my first Music Man fan fiction. I am currently in this show as a member of the ensemble and I've been throwing around different ideas in my head for various plot lines. This is one of them. I hope there will be more soon. Enjoy and please review!

16 year old Zaneeta Shinn HATED living in River City, Iowa. Mostly because she was surrounded by gossip 24/7.
In school it was the typical teenage stuff. She wasn't well liked simply because she was Mayor Shinn's daughter. She had very few friends and couldn't wait to go to college in a year and a half. She hoped to go to Boston to study to become an English teacher. Outside of school most of the gossip was focused around her relationship with Tommy Diljas. She hated that too. She was misunderstood in so many ways and thus felt so alone. She felt Tommy was the only person who truly understood her. She appreciated him for looking past the stereotype her schoolmates saw most of the time. Her father and her were constantly at odds about her relationship with Tommy. She couldn't stand that either.
"Why are you in a relationship with that whippersnapper Tommy Diljas?" her father always instigated the conversation.
Zaneeta rolled her eyes "Nobody from this side of town understands me. Tommy does. Ye Gods!"
"What do you mean no one understands ya? "
"They think I'm stuck up. Tommy sees past that stereotype."
"I still don't like the fact you're dating him."
"Well, get over it!"
Zaneeta stormed out of the house before he could say anything more, She went to the Candy Kitchen to go meet Tommy.
Tommy was waiting for her all smiles.
"Hey pretty girl. What's gotten you all huffy?"
"Oh, my dad and I just got into another fight again that's all."
"Well just forget about all that now you're with me."
Zaneeta smiled. 'I plan to.' She thought to herself
They ordered their ice cream and grabbed a booth over by the juke box. Their waitress was quick with the delivery and soon they were digging in to their sundae.
Zaneeta let out a frustrated sigh.
Tommy looked at his girlfriend. "What's on your mind?""
"I just don't understand WHY people have to be so judgmental of us?"
"Cuz they know I'm the rebellious type but I can prove them wrong."
"How?"
"Maybe dating you will help me to settle down a bit."
Was he using their relationship as a ploy?
Zaneeta was quiet.
"I mean that in a good way of course. " He was quick to clarify and the reached under the table to comfortingly squeeze Zaneeta's hand.
"Let people talk. I don't care what they say or what your dad says. I love you and that's all that matters.
She noticed ice cream was dripping down his chin. She grabbed a napkin and caught it before it reached his shirt.
"I love you too cutie."
They finished their sundae left a tip on the table for the waitress and left the Candy Kitchen to go the library. Zaneeta needed to go get some books out for a school research project.
Tommy felt Zaneeta's hand slip in to his. He smiled. He looked around and noticed people were whispering. He didn't care what they were saying. Why should he? As he had just told Zaneeta, he loved her and that's all that mattered.
Through all kinds of weather
what if the sky should fall
just as long as we're together
it doesn't really matter at all
Well they've all had our quarrells and parted
we'll be the same as we started
just travelin along
singin' our song
side by side
~ Side by Side Kay Star

No comments:

Followers