About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Friday, April 23, 2010

Writing a play

So one of my ongoing projects is writing a play that is to be used in community theatre. My original goal was to write a play based on show from every season that the theatre I interned out three summers ago the New London Barn Playhouse has done. The more I think about the more this may not work because for one thing I have had a lot of personal issues that I have been dealing with over the past couple years in relation to that theatre.. it's a long story but for some reason I don't think that play series is a good idea anymore. The other issue is that I am largely using other people's characters and there could be a lot of copyright infringement issues with that. The thing that would make the most sense to do would be to find the companies that original produced the musical (ex: Little Shop of Horrors) and ask them to use rights to their characters. That might take a while and I am hoping to produce that play in at least a year. My Little Shop of Horrors where are they now script is still being worked on.. lots of people have given me feedback on it. especially my former boss from the Barn Playhouse Nancy Barry who used it with her acting class in the fall.

So I am trying to come up with original material to write a play about and this is where writer's block has a negative affect on me. I could write a social issues play about Bullying because that has been in the news a lot lately especially with what happened with Pheobe Prince. When I worked at the Barn Playhouse I helped direct a youth theatre play based on my mom's children's book Bravery Soup. Kids from an elementary school in Pensylvania sent her an email the other day with suggestions about what happened to the guy who lives in the cave that Carlin gets the box from so that might be an interesting thing to write a play about.


Writer's block affects me on so many levels.. this being one of them :/ Does anyone have any suggestions?

No comments:

Followers