About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Challenge

So I am currently going through my itunes music trying to pick a song for my Music Man audition in January. Somewhere That's Green from Little Shop of Horrors was my original choice but I feel like in order to better showcase my range I might want to pick a more up tempo number. I am not totally going to rule out Somewhere That's Green though. If nothing else works out I'll stick with that. Have quite a bit time of decide. Feedback would be appreciated. Don't Rain On My Parade from Funny Girl is out of the running just because I think there are quite a few high notes in that song I wouldn't be able to hit.

It's too bad that pop songs typically don't tend to work for musical auditions if that wasn't the case then Let It Be by the Beatles or Imagine by John Lennon would be a #1 selection.

Aside from Somewhere That's Green my original list included:
Roxie from Chicago
Maybe This Time from Cabaret ( I may use the Glee cast version instead of the original)
There Are Worse Things I Could Do from Grease
How Lovely To Be A Woman from Bye Bye Birdie
Hopelessly Devoted To You from Grease

Songs I'm considering looking into are (Range: Low Soprano/High Alto)
At The Ballet from A Chrous Line
Beauty and The Beast from Beauty and The Beast
My New Philosphy You're A Good Man Charlie Brown
Put on A Happy Face from Bye Bye Birdie
You're Never Fully Dressed Without A Smile from Annie


Someone on livejournal also reccommended I Enjoy Being A Girl from Flower Drum Song. I'm not familar with that musical but I've heard of the song. If all else fails I could always pick a song from the show. My options include 76 Trombones, Goodnight My Someone and Wells Fargo Wagon. Which song out of those three would best fit my range?

Thoughts and furthur suggestions welcome

2 comments:

Anna Ambrose said...

Which part are you hoping to get? Your song choice will be largely dependent on that. For example, if you're going for chorus, any song similar to The Music Man score would be appropriate. However, if you're auditioning for Marian, you want to pick a song that conveys the type of emotion(s) that Marian must convey in the musical.

Janine said...

Thanks for answering Anna. Probably should have clarified the role I am auditioning for which is ensemble. I have talked to people who have auditioned for past shows and they said that you can either choose to sing a song from the shwo or sing any song you want. Since I am not too familar with the music from the show I figured I'd pick my own song.

Followers