About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Sunday, June 13, 2010

Tony Awards 2010- Predictions and Winners

Best Revival
Play
Prediction: The Royal Family
Winner Fences

Thoughts: Fences sounds like a good play. I would most likely go see it if I wasn't so dead set on seeing musicals every time I go to New York.
Musical:
Prediction: A Little Night Music
Winner: La Cage Aux Folles
Thoughts: This was slightly disappointing. I was really hoping ALNM would win. Perhaps because I am a huge fan of Sondheim.. have been for awhile but only recently realized it. La Cage looks amazing though.
Best Leading Actress
Play:
Prediction Laura Linney Time Stands Still
Winner Viola Davis Fences
Musical:
Prediction/Winner: Catherine Zeta Jones A Little Night Music
Thoughts: Well deserved. She is one of my idols. Her rendition of Send In The Clowns sounds better on the recording.
Best Supporting Actress
Play Predicition/Winner Scarlett Johnasen A View From The Bridge
LOVE LOVE LOVE Scarlett Johannsen.
Musical:
Prediction Angela Lansbury A Little Night Music
Winner: Katie Finneran Promises Promises
Thoughts: Kristin Chenoweth was robbed for the nomination and Angela Lansbury was robbed for the win. Though I must admit Katie Finneran gave one of the best acceptance speeches.
Best Lead Actor
Play Prediction/Winner: Denzel Washington Fences
Musical:
Prediction : Kelsey Grammer La Cages Aux Folles
Winner: Douglas Hodge La Cages Aux Folles
Thoughts: When I was making the predicition for this it was hard. It was toss up between Kelsey Grammar, Douglas Hodge and Sean Hayes. Happy that La Cage took home the prize. :)
Best Supporting Actor
Play: Prediction: David Alan Grier Red
Winner: Eddie Redmayne Red
Musical
Predicition: Robin DeJesus La Cax Aux Folles
Winner: Levi Kries Million Dollar Quartet
Thoughts: Can't win em all I suppose. Levi Kries is really cute.
Best Direction
Musical Predicition/Winner Tony Johnson La Cage Aux Folles
Play
Prediction: Gregory Moser A View From The Bridge
Winner: Michael Grandage Red
Choreogrphy
Prediction Rob Ashfod Promises Promises
Winner Bill T Jones FELA
Thoughts: Come Fly Away was ROBBED I tell you ROBBED. Though the chreography did look pretty amazing from the Fela piece I saw on the awards show. And I know Paula Abdul is a chreographer and everything but has she ever been on Broadway or does she have any relationship to Broadway? I thought it was odd that she was a presenter. My prediction for this was totally off just for the record.
Costume Design
Play Prediction/Winner Catherine Gruber The Royal Family
Musical
Prediction: Michael Wright La Cage Aux Folles
Winner: Mariana Draghichi FELA
Thoughts: I have not seen La Cage but from the performance I saw on the awards show the costumes look fantastic.
Sound Design
Play Adam Cork Red
Musical Robert Kaplowitz FELA

Lighting Design
Play
Winner: Adam Cork Red
Musical
Prediction Nick Richings A Little Night Music
Winner: Kevin Adams American Idiot
Thoughts: I have not seen either show in order to make a legitmate judgment on who derserved to win but just as a general comment Green Day's music does not appear to me to make a good concept for a musical.. at all whatsoever. I love Green Day's music a lot but I don't see where the concept for a musical lies. Mamma Mia worked because the songs actually fit in with the story line of the musical... I don't see how the musical of Green Day could fit in to make a good story line for a musical. As far of both of the American Idiot performances on the awards show are concerned I liked the opening number but found the second performance to be underwhelming.
Best Play
Prediction/Winner Red
Best Scenic Design
Play
Prediction Alexander Dodge Pleasant Laughter
Winner Christopher Oram Red
Musical
Prediction Tim Shortall La Cage Aux Folles
Winner: Christine Jones American Idiot
Best Orechestrations:
Prediction: Jason Carr La Cage Aux Folles
Winner: Daryl Waters and David Bryan FELA
Best Musical
Prediction: Million Dollar Quartet
Winner: Memphis


The show overall
Sean Hayes trumps NPH as a host by a long shot. He was hillarious. I especially liked it when he kissed Kristen Chenoweth. I dig his piano playing skillls.
Loved Bebe Neuwirth's and Nathan Lane's speech for presenting the awards for best lead actor and actress
All musical performances were great except for Lea Michelle's Don't Rain On My Parade (It was much better on Glee and seemed very forced live) and the second American Idiot performance.

No comments:

Followers