About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hand Jive back to the Past with Grease at Summer Theatre in Meredith Village


Posing after the show with members of the cast and other friends
L TO R: Janine Leffler, Sonya Walcott, Lara Hayhurst Compton (Sandy), Brandon Santoro, Matt Smith, Nancy Barry,Wendy Sisto,
Brady Lynch (Betty Rizzo), Eliza Hayes Mahar (Patty Simcox) and Matt Densky( Teen Angel)
So it's 12:27 am and I just got home from seeing Grease at Summer Theatre in Meredith Village. I wanted to post an entry about it while every aspect of the show from the singing to the dancing to the set design is fresh in my mind. When I get back from the beach later on in the afternoon today things will not be so fresh.

Grease was one of the first movie musicals other than Sound of Music that introduced me to musical theatre. I have seen Grease at a few other New Hampshire theatres but last night's performance definitley topped all the other ones I've seen... by a lot.

The play was directed and chereographed by Brian Feehan who directed me in Annie Get Your Gun at the Barn Playhouse two summers ago. He continues to do amazing work with chereography everything he does just blows me away. Honestly everytime I watch the dvd of Annie Get Your Gun I am as wowed by I Got The Sun In The Morning and There's No Business Like Show Business as I was when I watched them being rehearsed by my lovely co-workers at the Barn who I adore and greatly admire respect and miss. He also directed Carosuel and High School Musical @ STMV last year and naturally both of those shows were amazing. The show featured a very talented cast including Lara Hayhurst Compton (Sandy), Brady Lynch (Rizzo) Eliza Hayes Maher (Patty Simcox who also did amazing last summer in Carosuel as Louise) Amanda Tannerillo (Frenchy) and Matt Densky (Teen Angel) just to name a few. I had to resist tempation to sing along with certain songs which I found incredibly hard to do at some points especially during Greased Lightning, Beauty School Dropout and We Go Together. Best dance number was probably Greased Lightning follwed immediately by Born to Hand Jive.
A favorite song of mine from this show has always been Hopelessly Devoted To You and Lara Hayhurst Comptom did amazing with it.
Aestheically the show was as pleasing as it was musically. The best part of the set design for me was the hubcaps that hung from the ceiling during the Greased Lighthening scene.

Congrats to everyone in Grease on an awesome performance!

No comments:

Followers