About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Monday, September 5, 2011

Sweeney Todd Preview Article

School Edition of Sweeney Todd to be performed at Amato Center
By Janine Leffler
The dark Stephen Sondheim thriller Sweeney Todd School Edition will take to the Riverbend Youth Company Stage this September. Be prepared for something that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Sweeney Todd School Edition is directed by Souhegan High School senior Haley Brannelly.
Meghan Bedard, a 16 year old junior at Souhegan High School in Amherst is a huge fan of Sweeney Todd. “I've always been enthralled by its dark humor and morbid ending. The music is fantastic and there are so many emotions in all of the characters. It’s really challenging, but so much fun and I know it will be so rewarding.” Bedard looks forward to the audience’s reaction to the show and says that the audience response is the best part of live theatre.
Brad Odhner, also a junior at Souhegan, is energized to play the role of Judge Turpin because of the sheer horridness of the role. “ Judge Turpin is just an awful person.” When it comes to character development his strategy is to review his lines numerous times in rehearsal as well as see how the character interacts with the other characters in the scene. He enjoys the process of working on the summer shows at the Amato because it allows him to work with actors from other schools he does not see frequently during the year.
Kayla Bullwinkel, a 14 year old freshmen at Milford High School is thrilled to be playing Mrs. Lovett. “I am really looking forward to playing my first real lead in a show as big as this one. I have been performing for about six years now so it will be very exciting to put everything I have learned into action for this role.” Bullwinkel continued by saying “Mrs. Lovett is easily the most interesting character I've ever played. Audiences really love her which I find incredibly interesting because, while she comes off as very maternal and caring, she is still aiding a murderer and baking humans into pies. She is a sociopath and, what I think stands out to me most are that, she really doesn't realize that what she's doing is wrong. While most people would be horrified at the ideas that she comes up with, her condition causes her to find a personal justification in that entire she does. She has been very interesting to develop as a character.” Bullwinkel looks forward to bring a new genre of show to audiences and hopes it shows them the versatility of Riverbend Youth Company’s performers.
Sweeney Todd School Edition will be performed at The Amato Center for The Performing Arts at 56 Mont Vernon Street in Milford September 15-17th. Evening shows are at 7:30pm and matinees are at 2:00pm. Tickets are $12 for adults and $8 for students and seniors.
Invoice will follow shortly. Please confirm that you received this article and the article and invoice for The Producers.

No comments:

Followers