About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Sunday, January 22, 2012

Thoughts- On Where I Began and Where I am Now

So I was just looking over some old NLBP pictures on facebook. It made me look back on numerous things. Not just season itself the issues that unfolded after I left that led to my depression. I reflect on that summer the amazing time I had and realize that I am a stronger actor for having worked there because it was a step to every aspect of my career in theatre... it was a stepping stone for everyone in my group in a way i suppose. I don't like to touch on the depression so much but more so what the process of it taught me. I have spent a lot of time since leaving New London trying to carve out my niche in theatre. My main goal in the theatre is to eventually work for a theatre in the public relations office and then do acting on the side. Since leaving the Barn Playhouse I have definitley built upon technical, pr and acting experiences and I must admit I'm pretty happy with where I have found myself. In 2008 after I graduted from NEC I did some PR work for Peacock Players for a month (the very same theatre co I did theatre camp with in high school) and landed a job for the Milford Cabinet , a local newspaper where I have been writing freelance for four years. Sadly, due to budget cuts that job may be ending soon but I sure have built up quite the portfolio over the past for years. I then got involved in heping out backstage with Riverbend Youth Co and Milford Area Players shows. At the Barn Playhouse I mostly did props work for tech work since leaving I have had my hand at sound desigm and spotlight operator. Quite a great experience. Running the sound and the spotlight certainly gave me a different vantage point for viewing the show from. I kind of came full circle last summer doing PR for Nancy Barry ar Interlakes Summer Theatre in Meredith. It was a great experience and I am thankful to Nancy for the opportunity to work for her again. :) I also had my first article published in a NH travel magazine called NH To Do in Summer 2010 that highlighted summer theatre all around NH. Quite an accomplishment.

As far as acting goes I am still trying to build up my resume. Last year after a four year hiatus *Yes the last show I did previously was Annie Get Your Gun at the Barn. I was cast in the PTA Poduction of The Music Man as a member of the Ensemble. I must admit comparing my performances in Annie Get Your Gun and Music Man helped me to realize how far I have really come as an actor. I have to admit in Annie Get Your Gun I was awkward some of the time because that really my first role in a musical either and I don't think I really grew into my character until the end of the 2 week run. Music Man was vastly different. I found myself much more easily adjusted to my character in the ensemble which made it much simpler for me to interact with other people in the scenes I was in. Both shows were great experiences. With Oklahoma rehearsals underway I am excited about what's to come and am so blessed to be part of another AWESOME PTA cast.. a great mix of familiar faces from last year and new ones. It's going to be a wonderful four months.


I have an equal amount of emotions for the place that started it all. The skills I gained at the Barn Playhouse really helped shape who I am as a theatre artist. I am blessed to know all the people I worked with that summer and am so happy to hear of where their paths away from New London have led them all. They have all gone of to do such amazing things and I am happy to call all of them my friends and have them as part as my ever growing theatre family.

No comments:

Followers