About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Saturday, August 14, 2010

Summer loving had me a blast

Okay so this summer has been very much consumed by work and I haven't had much time to blog. That's why I am so behind on my commentary. I shall reflect while I watch the Red Sox and the 11:00 news

These are the shows I have seen this summer

  • Trip To Bountiful Wellsely College Summer Theatre June 29th
  • Dick Tracy Andy's Summer Playhouse July 8th


  • The Pursuit of Happiness Milford Area Players July 25th


  • Chicago Summer Theatre In Meredith Village July 31st


  • Almost Maine Peacock Players August 6th


  • Shout The Mod Musical Arundel Barn Playhouse Aug 14 (which I just returned from)



A mixture of the familar and something new. My theatre travels first took me to Wellsley College. My boyfriend recently moved to Welllsely and we decided to take advantage of the summer theatre offerings. Trip To Bountiful took place in Texas and was about an older woman who was struggling with moving on from her hometown and trying to escape from her son and daughter in law to return to Bountiful. It was a very powerful story with a good message behind it and one that especially resonated with me because of my struggles to move on from NLBP. July 8th I went to Andy's Summer Playhouse in Wilton with my sister to see Dick Tracy. The kid she babysits was in the show. It was my first time seeing a show at Andy's and I was very impressed with how talented all the kids were. For a review please scroll a few entries down. On July 25th I went to see The Pursuit of Happiness at Milford Area Players. This had a good mixture of drama and comedy in it. It was about a girl who is preparing to go to college but she is realizing in the process that going to college is not for her. It's a battle of wits between Annie (Kathy McKay) and Jodi (Grace Stover) I was laughing the whole time. A scene that I thought was particularly humourous was the scene that takes place between Annie and Skip in the mall food court.

July 31st my travels led me to Meredith where I saw Chicago at Summer Theatre in Meredith Villlage. This was my first time seeing a stage production of Chicago and I loved it. Maggie Politi played Roxie Hart and she did amazing. My favorite musical numbers were Razzle Dazzle. My Own Best Friend and Roxie. For a full review of the play and a letter to editor I have submitted to the Weirs Times in regards to the show please see previous entries I have posted.

Last weekend I saw Almost Maine at Peacock Players. Typically I am more of a fan of musical then I am of straight plays but this one was really good. It was directed and performed by the Peacock Players Young Company which is the youth theatre troupe at Peacock Players. It's a romantic comedy which is a seires of short vingettes of the various stages of love. Favorite scenes were They Fell, Getting It Back and Story of Hope. I was really impressed with the versatility and talent of the cast which is consisted of high schoolers from Nashua and surrounding towns.
and finally tonight Matt and I went to see Shout the Mod Musical at The Arundel Barn Playhouse. It was my first time back to Arundel after being there several summers ago when my family used to rent a vacation home in Wells... back then we saw I Love Your Perfect Now Change (which I believe was in 2003) and Nunsense (which I believe was in 2005) Shout The Mod Musical was a musical revue of songs from the 1960s. I had heard of a few songs by hearing my parents talk about them but had never seen them performed. There were times when I wanted to get up and dance along and sing along too. Overall a very enjoyable time. I will definitley go back to Arundel next summer.


Now as summer winds down the only two upcoming shows that remain are my trip to New York this weekend during which I willl be seeing Jersey Boys and September 18th where I will go up to NEC to see the Open Door Performance of As You Like It. After that however I will be on hiatus until the spring when I go to see the Mainstage Theatre production of Hotel Laputts in April. After NYC I have start saving money up for an apartment bc I hope to move out of my house in the next year or so.

No comments:

Followers