About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Razzle Dazzle rocks my soul

"Tell Bob Fosse that Chicago in the late 1920s is not Berlin." Hal Prince in a letter to Kander and Ebb about the similarities between Chicago and Cabaret

I have some issues with this quote mostly because I can't really see how Chicago and Cabaret are that similar. I guess one similarity is that both shows are about a certain aspect of show business but other than that that I can't see how the story lines for both shows connect to eachother.


Last night I went with Matt and Sonya to see Chicago at Summer Theatre in Meredith Village. It was my first time seeing Chicago performed... before hand I had only seen the movie with Catherine Zeta Jones, Richard Gere and Renne Zwellenger and it has always been one of my favorite movie musicals.

Chicago was directed and choregraphed by Brian Feehan who has also directed High School Musical, Grease, Carosuel, Buddy Holly Story and Sound of Music at STMV. For those who have never seen the show or the moive the story is set in Chicago in the 1920s and most focusses on show girls Velma Kelly (Kelsey Cooke) and Roxie Hart (Maggie Politi) Roxie has recently been thrown in jail accused of a crime she didn't commit and hires lawyer Billy Flynn (Jared Trolio) to cover her case and bring her to justice. To me Chicago is well known for it's sound track i'm not sure what else it would be well known for besides that. Favorite musical numbers included All I Care About, Mr. Cellophane, Cell Block Tango and Razzle Dazzle. This show is an emotional roller coaster as Roxie deals with her trial and Velma deals with her jealousy of Roxie taking her place in the spotlight. Things end up happy for them in the end.

Congrats to the cast and crew of Chicago on a great show.

No comments:

Followers