About Me

My photo
Amherst, NH, United States
I am 25 years old and I live in NH. I have mild cerebal palsy but I have never let that affect me. I am very passionate about theatre and writing. For my professional theatre blog go to http://theatretechdiva.weebly.com

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

List of shows that are closing

I got this list of Broadway Shows that are closing off of a post on BroadwaySpace. It's very depressing how many shows are closing. I hope the economy rebounds soon. I will put what commentary I have on the shows next to them, January 4th willl be an extremely sad day on Broadway.


LIMITED ENGAGEMENTS CLOSING


A Man For All Season - December 14th


The Seagull - December 21st


Liza At the Palace - December 28th I love Liza Minelli! She is one of my idols.. I would have loved to see this.


Dividing the Estate - January 4th


Slava's Snowshow - January 4th


White Christmas - January 4th


All My Sons -January 11th


Equus - February 8th The guy who is in the Harry Potter movies Daniel Radcliffe is in this.. I think the fact it's closing has something to do with filiming the next movies for Harry Potter. I would have loved to see him in a Broadway


Pal Joey - February 15th


Speed-the-Plow - February 22nd I really wanted to see this. Hopefully it will go on tour.


OPEN-RUNS CLOSING


13 - January 4th


Boeing-Boeing - January 4th


Grease - January 4th I was impressed with the performance from this show on the Tony awards in June. I am sad I will not get to see it. Grease is one of my favorite shows. I would love to see it on Broadway.


Hairspray - January 4th This is only show I'm not very disappointed after hearing the news that it closed. I saw it in 12th grade on a field trip to Boston and loved it. This show has had a long run and i'm sure it's pleased many audiences.


Young Frankenstein - January 4th


The 39 Steps - January 11th (transferring) This show is moving to a different theatre so there is still a possibility I may get to see it.


Monty Python's Spamalot - January 11th I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE Monty Python. I am very sad I won't get to see it. I think I already missed the tour in Boston too... so sad.


Spring Awakening - January 18th So very bummed about this. A girl from Nashua who did shows at the theatre I am working at now is currently in the cast and I am sad I won't get to New York to see the show. :*(


Forbidden Broadway Goes to Rehab - March 1st


Gypsy - March 1st





Shows that already closed that I am totally disappointed about not being able to see


Xanadu


Legally Blonde: The Musical


Title of Show


A Catered Affair

Passing Strange

A Chorus Line I'm soooo disappointed I missed the national tour when it came to Boston in September but it's a perk that I know someone in the cast and they're sending me a poster signed by everyone in the cast I <3> Jay! :)
A Tale Of Two Cities I had a friend from the Barn Playhouse who did tech work for this show and she said it was awesome. It would have been interesting to see the Charles Dickens book put to music.

THANK GOD I GOT TO SEE RENT before it closed! What a blessing in disguise for a graduation present.

Based on the above list it doesn't really seem like many of the shows that won Tony Awards in June fared very well. I haven't heard anything about In The Heights or August: Osage County closing yet so hopefully those will still be on my list of shows to see. The problem is I don't know when I am going to go back to New York yet and I'm hoping the shows I want to see won't be closed by then. On the bright side Spring Awakening won a Tony in 2007 and it did pretty damn good. RENT did pretty good too... though it was never nominated for a Tony it should have been.
This is my list... who knows how many times it could be revised before I actually go back to New York. Hopefully the economy will improve soon. I'm planning on going back in the spring though I am not sure exactly when.
West Side Story
Billy Elliot
August: Osage County
The 39 Steps
Shrek
In The Heights
9 To 5: The Musical
Avenue Q

Billy Elliot is my top choice folllowed by an off broadway show my friend Colleen from the Barn Playhouse is in called Pinkalicious. Who knows what could open between now and then. Though the date of then is undertermined at this time. I need a job so I can get money for bus fare, hotel rooms and naturally show tickets.

Time for bed... or some late night harnessing of my muse to write more poetry.
Love
Janine

1 comment:

Tale of Two Cities Musical said...

Hi,
I thought you might be interested in another “Tale of Two Cities Musical” that is wending its way to Broadway (Perhaps via Boston). This one has a distinctively low budget so far but a very singable score and an engaging book. You might want to check out some of the songs. http://www.taleoftwocitiesmusical.com/

Bob Littlefield

Followers